Posted on 12/08/2019 by BetaCare
If U Care Share is a charity which was started after the death of a young man, who at 19 years old took his own life. He had no previous history of mental health problems nor had he shown any signs of his intentions.
After that, his 2 brothers and cousin decided they wanted to do something positive to try and prevent a family suffering the same experience.
They have 3 main aims: Prevention, Intervention and support those who have been affected by suicide.
Mental Health Statistics
· In 2017, 5,821 suicides were recorded in Great Britain. Of these 75% were male and 25% were female
· Between 2003 and 2013, 18,220 people with mental health problems took their own life in the UK
· Suicide is the most common cause of death for men aged 20-49 years in England and Wales
· In the UK, men are three times as likely to take their own lives than women
· One person in fifteen has made a suicide attempt at some point in their life
Here at Beta we are all passionate about raising awareness for mental health and increasing our knowledge on the subject. That’s why this year we organised for If U Care Share to come an deliver some Mental Health Awareness Training to all staff and carers.
We found this invaluable training and came away from it with more understanding about mental health and how to spot the signs that someone may be suffering. We understand how to deal with it and what to do if we are affected directly, or indirectly.
Coming up on 10th September is Suicide Prevention Day and we will be taking part in ‘Inside Out’. We will be wearing all our clothes inside out…(well most of them!)
One of our social workers, Siobahn is also running the Great North Run to raise money for this charity. Good Luck to her!
We will report back with how it all went once its all done, but if you would like to donate to such a fantastic charity then you can text IFUCARESHARE to 70085 to donate £5 or visit their website to find out how you can help.